I initially wanted to make a salad with raw butternut squash, and I started thinking about combining butternut and avocado. Then I thought that the textures might not work so well, so I decided to roast the squash. The rest just came together, and I found this salad to be perfectly balanced in terms of color, texture, and flavor. Satisfying and supremely nutritious, too!
Avocado and Butternut Squash Salad
- - 1 large bunch fresh spinach, baby greens, or lettuce, rinsed
- - 1 cup butternut squash or sweet potato, diced
- - 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- - 1/3 cup toasted walnuts
- - 1 small or 1/2 large red onion, sliced in slivers
- - optional: 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp coriander
- - optional: feta cheese
- - optional: small bunch fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- - olive oil
- - lemon juice
- - salt and pepper
- 1. Toss diced squash or sweet potato in olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and optional cumin and/or coriander
- 2. Spread on greased or parchment-paper lined baking sheet and roast in oven on high heat until browned
- 3. Let cool
- 4. Combine remaining veggies, nuts, and optional feta cheese
- 5. Season to taste with good olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper
- 6. Serve immediately, and enjoy!
Proportions should be adjusted to taste. Squash can be prepared in advance and stored in refrigerator. Tip: Make extra and save for later when you next find yourself craving this salad.