This vegetarian version of the traditional North African stew served over couscous is incredibly easy to make, and incredibly comforting to eat.
- 2 medium onions, chopped into 1-2 inch chunks
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into quarters or eighths
- 1 big piece winter or butternut squash, cut into 1-2 inch chunks
- 3-4 zucchini, or other summer squash, cut into 2 inch rounds
- 2-3 carrots,Â cut into 1-2 inch chunks
- 3-4 cloves garlic, smashed and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups cooked or canned chick peas
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbs ground cumin
- 2 tsp tumeric
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Place all ingredients in a large pot, cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer, partially covered, until everything is soft (about 30 min)
- Serve over whole wheat (or any other) couscous, or enjoy as is.