A simple and satisfying one-course meal.
If you’ve got ’em, you can add carrots, yellow squash, and/or fresh herbs. This recipe makes 4-6 servings, depending on how hungry you are.
1) 1/2 lb whole wheat penne pasta, cooked
2) 1 large onion (red or yellow), sliced
3) 10-12 button mushrooms, sliced
4) 1 large head broccoli, cut into florets (can peel and slice stalk as well)
5) 1 red or yellow pepper, deveined and cut into strips
6) 10 cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
7) 1 can white beans, drained
8) 3-5 cloves garlic, crushed
9) olive oil
10) grated parmesan (optional)
11) coarse salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper to taste
In a large pan or a wok, saute onions, mushrooms in olive oil until soft. Add broccoli and pepper and cook very lightly, just until broccoli turns bright green. Add beans, garlic and optional tomatoes and cook until heated through. Add the pasta to the vegetable mixture and salt to taste. Serve topped with parmesan, black pepper and crushed red pepper to taste. Drizzle with olive oil, if desired.