I went to bed hungry the other night and came up with this recipe while trying to fall asleep. I made them without eggs and they were delicious, but a bit crumbly. If you prefer a sturdier patty, you can add an egg or two.
This recipe makes about 12-14 medium-sized burgers.
2 (8oz) packages tempeh
10-12 button mushrooms
1 medium onion
5 cloves garlic
1/3 cup sesame seeds
2 tbs miso dissolved in 3 tbs water
1 tsp ground cumin
(optional: 1-2 eggs)
Canola oil for frying
1) Mix ingredients (except oil and optional egg/s) in food processor until blended to a coarse paste.
2) Mix in eggs (if desired), by hand.
3) Heat a frying pan or skillet and add a generous layer of oil.
4) When the oil is hot, form the patties, and place them in the hot pan.
5) When you see the edges beginning to brown, flip them, and cook the other side. Tempeh likes to absorb oil, so add oil as needed.
6) When the burgers are cooked through and browned on both sides, remove them, and place them on a paper towel to cool.
Fix up with your favorite burger fixin’s and enjoy!